Introduction : Cheongpyeongsa Temple is located on the beautiful misty slopes of Obongsan Mountain, and can be reached after enjoying a 10minute ferry ride from Soyang Lake Ferry Dock. The temple was built in 973 during the reign of King Gwangjong of the Goryeo dynasty. In the sixth year of Goryeo King Seonjong (1089), Lee Ja-hyun stepped down from his government post and came to Cheongpyeongsan Mountain to retreat from the world and enjoy peace. In his time on the mountain, Lee created a vast garden near Cheongpyeongsa Temple. Trapesoidal stone walls surround the garden to create a square shape when viewed from outside, and water from the valley was redirected into the garden to form a pond that would reflect the image of Obongsan Mountain.
During the Korean War, Gugwangjeon and Saseongjeon of the temple were damaged, but the Cheongpyeongsa Revolving Door (Treasure No.164), which symbolizes the transmigration of Souls, and Geukrakbojeon remains today. Near Cheongpyeongsa Temple is Cheongpyeongsa Valley, which is known for its clean water and Guseong Waterfall, known to make nine different sounds.
Address : 810, Obongsan-gil, Chuncheon-si, Gangwon-do
Type : Temples/ Religious Sites
Inquiries : • 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-33-244-1095
Homepage: cheongpyeongsa.co.kr (Korean only)