The temple was founded by Uisang, a scholar-monk, in the 6th year in the reign of King Munmu of Silla Dynasty (666), located 6km of Bilobong Peak of Chiaksan Mountain towards hakgok-ri. There was a pond that nine dragons lived, but the pond was covered up and the temple was built on it where Daeungjeon Hall stands. Also, according to 『Chiacksan Mountain Guryongsa Sajeok』, the temple was founded by Do Seonguk, a monk. Recently, a roofed tile, letters of Ganghui 45 year written, was excavated. Based on it, it is assumed that the temple was restored in the 32nd year in the reign of King Sukjong (1706).
Guryongsa Temple is located at Chiaksan National Park in Hakgok2-ri, Socho-myeon, Wonju-si, Gangwon-do. There is a legend of the name. In geomantic theory, Uisang, a scholar monk, defeated nine dragons and established the temple at Chiaksan Mountain, “ a beautiful place that a thousand years old turtle brings lotus flower up, and nine sea dragons release clouds.” Now, Guryongsa’s Gu means turtle not dragon.
Contact 033-732-4800 / www.guryongsa.or.kr
- see more at http://www.gangwon.to/en