Introduction : Pungsuwon was the first catholic village in which over 40 faithful from Yongin (Gyeonggi-do), led by Sin Tae-bo (or St. Peter), settled to escape the wrath of Sinyubakhae (religious persecution of Catholics) of 1801. Over a period of 80 years, the settlers had led their religious lives without a priest until Father Le Merre (a French priest) came to the village in 1888. Succeeding Le Merre in 1896, Father Jeong Gyu-ha (or Augustino), along with Chinese engineers, began to build Pungsuwon Cathedral.
Completed in 1907 by the faithful, the cathedral still remains a beautiful building even after 110 years; it is a popular spot for visitors, having frequently appeared in Korean dramas and films such as “Love Letter (1995 MBC miniseries).” It is the first cathedral built by a Korean priest as well as in Gangwon-do; it is the fourth cathedral built in Korea. Pungsuwon Cathedral was designated as Gangwon-do Local Cultural Property No.69 in 1982.
Address : 30, Gyeonggang-ro yuhyeon 1-gil, Seowon-myeon, Hoengseong-gun, Gangwon-do
Type : Temples/ Religious Sites
Inquiries : 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
Homepage : www.pungsuwon.org