Just like the french toast sticks we loved as kids, but so much better!
12 slices thick cut, soft whole grain bread or brioche bread
1 1/2 cups whole milk or nut/seed based milk
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon maple syrup, plus more for serving
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons salted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut each slice of bread into 1 inch wide "sticks". In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla, maple, nutmeg, salt, and 1 tablespoon melted butter.
3. Dip each breadstick into the egg mixture and toss to coat. Remove, allowing any excess to drip off back into the bowl. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining bread. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake 10-15 minutes more, or until lightly golden.
4. Meanwhile, add the remaining 5 tablespoons butter to a medium pot set over medium heat. Allow the butter to brown lightly until it smells toasted and nutty, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
5. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, and cinnamon.
6. Brush each french toast stick with browned butter and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar...or toss to coat for extra sweetness. Serve warm with maple syrup.
- see more at https://www.halfbakedharvest.com